Monday, October 27, 2008

Surgery is now scheduled!

I got 2 new hearing aids, thanks to BVR and although they are better than the ones I had, they don't help me as much as they need to. I went thru the CI tests again and properly "flunked", making me a CI candidate. I met with Dr. Welling on October 23, 2008 to discuss the details and schedule surgery. I've done so much research into this that I feel like I know what to expect. I know to keep my expectations low and my hopes high. I want this to work and I've read the postings from folks where it was an abysmal failure to folks who think it's the absolute best thing that's happened in their lives. The folks who seem to have done the best have had some hearing before this and are post-lingually deaf. I hate referring to myself as "deaf", since I think deaf means Deaf - can't hear a thing. I prefer to call myself prof0undly hard of hearing. I know it's a minor difference, but it's a difference all the same.

There's not much to do in the meantime here... but wait for the 24th. Then there won't be much to do but wait until January 7th - my activation date. Then I get to start all the hard work of learning to hear.

No comments: