Monday, August 21, 2006

Doctor's appointment - Friday!

Ok... my doctor's appointment is looming large now! I see Dr. Brad Welling on Friday August 25 at 10:30am! Actually I have a hearing test at 10:30 and I'm supposed to see Dr. Welling at 11am. I'm hoping he will tell me what a wonderful canidate I am for an implant and schedule me for an MRI and a CAT scan. I expect the two things that will hold up this process the most will be getting approved thru insurance (which shouldn't be a problem, since it states clearly in my policy they cover cochlear implants) and then getting the actual surgery scheduled.

Here are some links some of you might find interesting:
This is from my ENT doctor's website
All about cochlear implants

This is the FDA website. Lots of cool info here... there's even a video of an implant surgery (not for the faint of heart!)
FDA cochlear information

There are three implant manufacturers approved in the USA
Advanced Bionics
Cochlear Americas - This is likely the one I'll get
Med El Corporation

The House Ear Institute is where the cochlear implant was first invented.

Last, but certainly not least is the CIHear online community website. There's a TON of information here, lots of stories and more than I've had time to explore.

No comments: