Saturday, August 26, 2006

Hurry up and wait... some more!

The audiologist wanted to do two different hearing tests, the regular one, without my hearing aids, and then another one with my hearing aids. This tells them if my hearing aids are helping me as they should (or not). Since it had been 3 months since my last hearing test they wanted to do that one again, but I was only scheduled for a half hour with the audiologist. Both tests take about an hour to complete. Sooooo, I will re-schedule the test with my hearing aids early next week.

After the hearing aid test, I will know if I'm a good candidate for a cochlear implant (CI) or not. Assuming I am, I'll be scheduled for a CAT scan. Apparently I don't need an MRI, not sure why I thought I needed one, but glad I don't have to do that! The CAT scan will tell us which ear is the better ear to do the implant on. I've been hoping it would be my right ear implanted, but the CAT scan may tell us otherwise. Again, wait and see!

I asked Dr. Welling if the hearing test says I need a CI, and the CAT scan doesn't show anything bad, in an ideal world, how long could it be before surgery? He replied, "One month"! All this assumes insurance goes through smoothly and quickly. Even though they say they'll cover it, I have to get approved by them.

I was definitely disappointed and frustrated by yesterday. I had hoped to have some good news to report, but I suppose this is a good lesson in patience and not getting my hopes up too much too soon.

My next installment will be sometime next week, once I know when my next hearing test is. I'll just post a short one letting you know when it is. Then post more after I have the results of the test.

No comments: